January 29th, 2016
12: The Zen of Programming
John K. Paul
"Programming is the optimization of the learning process. It is not any particular technology."
"Frustration is a part of the job. I remember looking at a bug and being pissed off. Now I look at a bug and think "That's a bug. ". I call it The Zen of Programming, that I feel we all eventually get to, and we all need to be talking about more, such that people get comfortable that they're not there and that's OK."
"I think that we are all culturally programmed to assume that '...going into management means forgetting what life is like and not caring about anything but deadlines.'... Do I still have every bit of the same urge to over engineer? 'Hell yeah I do!'. "
"The reason why human beings, post agricultural revolution, specialized is because specialization is good."
- 1:09 - The Drank
- 3:20 - About John
- 7:02 - How did you end up as CTO of InRhythm?
- 9:23 - What made you interested in programming?
- 11:31 - How do you maintain your programming knowledge while not writing code all day?
- 20:51 - Commit to jQuery!
- 24:22 - Why is it so hard to find good engineers who are good at managing people?
- 31:55 - Full-time vs consultant
- 44:33 - Questionnaire
- 45:17 - If these people were programming languages in human form, what would they be?
- 46:10 - Who do you want to have as your karaoke partner?
- 47:05 - Assuming there's WiFi in heaven, and you have access for 5 minutes, what would you download?
- 47:57 - How much code coverage would Gandhi have?
- 48:45 - If you had to name your child after a programming language, what would it be?
- 49:40 - If you weren't a programmer what would you do?
- 50:47 - What do you suck at?
- 52:34 - What sucks about the web industry?
- 54:28 - What's the coolest thing you worked on?
- 55:47 - What's your greatest 'mess' up?
- 57:00 - As a consumer, what technology are you most excited about?
- 1:00:14 - Is it a good time to get started?
- 1:02:09 - How do you see the future of front end development?
- 1:05:16 - What do you attribute your success to?
- 1:12:45 - If you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself in college?
- About the guest:
- John K. Paul is the CTO of InRhythm.
- He was the VP of Engineering at Penton Media
- He was the VP of Engineering at Avagen Ventures
- He was a Lead Technical Architect at Conde Nast
- He was a Client Side Architect at Happify
- He was the VP of Development at 76Hudson
- He was a Lead Front End Software Engineer at TheLadders.com
- He is an avid speaker with dozens of talks under his belt.
- He was a keynote speaker at jQuery conference in 2014.
- He has been doing Duolingo for over 735 days in a row!
- John K. Paul @ LinkedIn