15: CSS Life
May 20th, 2016Play Now
Drink: Laphroaig Scotch Whisky
"You can spend months and months trying to get logical backend systems to talk to client side systems, but people are going to be like 'Well, that button is not quite blue'."
"A lot of times in a lot of companies they think just because you write software you are a visual person. That is incorrect. Writing UI is a whole different class and league of its own."
"In my opinion service system are easy to write because it is literally 'data in, data out'. If you fuck that up... get the fuck out."
"Having multiple disciplines in one house, you are able to create something truly beautiful."
"As a developer, if you are complacent, just find something else."
- 1:00 - The Drank
- 1:56 - About JR
- 4:14 - How do you get good at multiple things?
- 18:07 - Talk about your relationship with CSS. Who asked out who?
- 19:53 - Is it enough to have one person to put together UI ingredients for the whole team?
- 24:31 - Who should we blame? HTML or CSS?
- 25:06 - Most common mistakes when writing CSS?
- 29:05 - Why do you prefer more HTML to more CSS?
- 31:06 - Why are so many good developers bad at CSS?
- 34:10 - Bootstrap layout vs. writing your own?
- 34:57 - What made Bootstrap win the game?
- 39:22 - When would you use a CSS table?
- 44:35 - Thoughts on JQuery
- 59:21 - Questionnaire...
- 59:35 - If HTML, CSS and JS were members of a family, who would be who?
- 1:01:22 - Hardest thing you had to style? Your hair? haha
- 1:02:40 - Can you get rich writing CSS without selling your body down in Hoboken?
- 1:04:03 - Stuck on an island, you can run npm install 2 times. What would you install?
- 1:04:28 - How much longer are people going to be writing CSS?
- 1:06:25 - If you were not a programmer and pole dancing was not an option, what would you do?
- 1:07:45 - What do you suck at?
- 1:09:32 - What do you hate about the web?
- 1:10:09 - Coolest thing you worked on?
- 1:10:56 - Your greatest fuck up?
- 1:12:08 - As a consumer of technology, what are you most excited about?
- 1:15:27 - How do you see the future of the web?
- 1:18:09 - How do you keep up with the industry?
- 1:19:29 - Why are you successful in your career?
- 1:21:40 - If you had to pick one person without whom your current project would fail, who would it be?
- About the guest:
- JR was born on a small island in the Philippines where coconuts were used to imitate horse hoofs.
- He is a Senior Software Engineer at MasterCard Technologies.
- He was a Software Engineer at Fossil Group
- He was a Software Development Engineer at NetSocket.
- He had been a part of a team that developed patent-pending technologies related to software ip networking automation at his first position out of university
- He was part of a team to implement full end to end AEM integration on an enterprise e-commerce platform including a checkout path.
- Also, he believes in America, America #1!
- JR Palomar @ LinkedIn