Aug 19th, 2016
16: Simulation Hypothesis by the DJ Programmer
"When you're looking at an (Angular) controller, you really don't care about how the sorting algorithm works, you care that the sorting algorithm works."
"When in doubt, refactor."
"We are contemplating the nature of reality here on The Drunk Web, and what better way to do that than with a cocktail in your hand."
"You think, I kinda think, most people think, that you and I live in base reality, that this is the real thing and all other everything is stemmed from this. But the simulation hypothesis is that that is not the case and that we are the branch of a tree."
- 0:48 - The Drink
- 1:10 - About Mike
- 6:35 - How did you get the name lovecraft?
- 17:28 - The cultural overlap between ui developers and house music!
- 19:45 - Frustrations with Angular and why you're more of a React guy?
- 22:47 - What is it with you and refactoring?
- 24:32 - Seriously dude, what is it with you and refactoring?
- 26:01 - Toughest thing about working with large teams?
- 28:00 - What is Simulation Hypothesis?
- 30:45 - What is base reality?
- 34:51 - Artificial Intelligence, ANI, AGI and ASI
- 42:14 - Questionnaire
- 42:49 - You're stuck on an island, you can only run npm install once. What do you use it for?
- 43:30 - Who would you Party, Code, Brunch with? lin manuel miranda, Nick Bostrom, Elon Musk?
- 45:22 - Would you teach your kid to code or to DJ?
- 46:22 - Which would you rather give up, Components or Latte?
- 47:32 - If you weren't a programmer and DJ'ing was not an option. What would you do?
- 48:04 - What do you suck at?
- 48:27 - What do you hate about the web?
- 48:58 - What are you jealous of about the new generation of developers that you wish you had when you first started?
- 50:13 - Coolest thing you worked on?
- 51:52 - Biggest fuck up?
- 54:11 - What do you say to your 19 year old self?
- 55:36 - Shoutouts
- 56:28 - Outro
- About the guest:
- Mike is a Senior Software Engineer at InRhythm.
- He's part of a team responsible for building the Masterpass web application.
- He was a part of the team responsible for building Shutterstock Editor, a react based photoshop like image editor in the browser.
- He has experiences at Yellow Hammer, Interbrand and cisco.
- He is also a DJ with stage name 'Lovecraft'.
- He DJ'd for 3000+ people at Burning Man.
- He has experience working with artists like Tommy Lee, Kid Cudi and P. Diddy.
- He went to Berklee collage of music.
- He is surprisingly good with Yo Yo.
- Mike Fisher @ LinkedIn