November 27th, 2015
9: Backend vs. Frontend Cultural Differences
Moscow MulePlay Now
"Take your degree in philosophy and theology, and learn ReactJS and then make 200 million dollars per year."
"Don't change your life in one weekend, said Luke Lappin, I've done it twice."
"That's what I really like about computer programming, when you meet the best of the best it's great, when you meet the worst, you just wanna punch them!"
- 1:01 - The Drink
- 3:34 - About Luke
- 9:39 - How did you become a programmer?
- 11:34 - How we met...
- 13:00 - Thoughts on fellow backend developers...
- 14:45 - How about frontend developers?
- 17:41 - How come you haven't jumped on the NodeJS train yet?
- 25:21 - What kind of frontend guy do you like and what kind are you annoyed by?
- 32:03 - Moscow Mule round 2
- 35:43 - The Questionnaire
- 35:49 - If Jesus was a programmer, would he be frontend or backend?
- 36:21 - Would Jesus and Moses be able to work together in a scrum agile team environment?
- 36:36 - Who would be better at writing unit tests, Santa or The Devil?
- 37:31 - If you weren't a programmer, what would you do?
- 42:39 - Why do you think so many companies are paying an arm and a leg for programmers vs. $20/hour offshore developers?
- 47:51 - Coolest thing you worked on?
- 49:24 - Your biggest fuck up?
- 51:10 - Is it a good time to start looking into programming?
- 51:59 - How do you see the future of the web?
- 55:20 - How do you keep up with the industry?
- 56:38 - How can young developers become like Luke Lappin? (And should they?)
- 57:44 - What would you say to the young Luke Lappin?
- 59:49 - Any advise for people who are stuck?
- 1:04:19 - *** SPECIAL BONUS: The Beatles Vocal Harmony ***
- About the guest:
- Luke is the first backend engineer to be on The Drunk Web.
- He has been a Java developer for 10+ years.
- He is a Senior Enterprise Architect at InRhythm
- He was a Technical Architect at Razorfish
- He was a Senior Software Engineer at HBO
- He was a Senior Java Developer / Architect at Hewlett-Packard
- He was a Senior Java/Web Developer at Electronic Data Systems
- He was a Java/Web Developer at Towers Perrin
- Java Java Java Java
- More Java
- Luke Lappin @ LinkedIn