18: The Self-Taught Programmer
Sep 9, 2017Play Now
Drink: Whiskey Smash
"You're gonna hit an aha moment like 'Oh I can totally do this'. For me, having random experiences and doing what the client needed and then moving on to something else entirely gave me enough of a base to then have one course be my aha moment."
"Agile is a philosophy. It's a mindset. You either think that way or you don't. It's binary. You can't apply a set of rules to a team that doesn't think that way and have them function in an agile fashion."
- 0:53 - The Drank
- 1:47 - About Brent
- 10:32 - Is there a direct correlation between the quality of a developer’s code and his beard?
- 11:29 - Being self-taught
- 17:00 - What kind of stuff should you not self teach?
- 18:08 - How long before we are the coal miners?
- 22:49 - Should we get excited about VUE?
- 27:02 - JSX
- 32:41 - Are developers ignorant of how confusing it is today to learn web technologies?
- 36:24 - If you were a CTO, what principles would you instal?
- 39:19 - Thoughts on Agile?
- 43:13 - Worst kind of developer?
- 46:22 - Why can't Maynard write lyrics without music? Is it like not being able to do TDD?
- 48:24 - What if I told you Barcelona will win every Champions League but you have to use jQuery forever?
- 49:38 - What if Madrid beats Barcelona 4-0 in the finals but you can use VUE in every project?
- 50:55 - What if you could be best friend with Maynard but you have to Windows and XML forever?
- 51:38 - If New York City was a programming language, what would it be?
- 53:05 - You have 30 minutes with Messi, what do you do?
- 54:05 - Messi wants to learn programming, what do you teach him?
- 57:21 - You're stuck on an island, you can run NPM install once. What do you use it for?
- 57:55 - Party, Code, Breakfast. Neymar, Justin Bieber, Wonder Woman.
- 59:50 - Would you teach your kid how to code or how to play soccer?
- 1:00:35 - If you weren't a programmer and soccer wasn't an option, what would you do?
- 1:02:36 - Which one would you give up, Lodash or Cold brew coffee?
- 1:03:39 - What do you suck at?
- Coolest thing you worked on? - 1:05:10
- 1:06:00 - What technologies are you excited about?
- 1:09:01 - How do you keep up with the industry?
- 1:09:30 - Advise for the 19 year old Brent?
- 1:10:10 - Any other shoutouts?
- 1:12:10 - Last Words