February 16, 2019
Ryan Watkins & Brent Bevolo
"I fear monoculture for browsers. It's really hard to build one. It takes a ton of resources. Lack of competition is bad even in browsers. It's easier as a developer but it's bad for the consumer."
"The web relies on a certain technology, and that technology is old. Some of it is old at this point, but you can't change it because you'd be breaking 80% of the internet. So you're just kind of keeping those things around. Maybe it's not always in the best interest of the consumer but that's just how the web works."
"Typescript or bust lol"
"Consumer comes first, more than my convenience as a developer."
"For me it's less about architecture, more like find what you enjoy and work your career so you end up doing the things that you like to do. Find a career path that will get you into the things that you want to continue to do."
- About the guest:
- Ryan Watkins is a Software Architect at Mastercard.
- He was a VP of Technology at Fox Mobile Group.
- He was a VP of Technology at Thumbplay.
- He was a Senior Front End Technologist at MLB Advanced Media.
- He was a Web Design Engineer at Microsoft.
- Brent's bio on Episode 18.